Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Grow Up

It seems that growing up means realizing more who you are and knowing your own faults and habits and then working to function well in spite of them.

For me, I've come to realize that I'm lazy and will always settle for whatever is "good enough." Conversations with my mom help me to see that it runs in the family. Conversations with friends help me to see how much potential I have. And conversations with those closest to me help me to see how much it affects others.

So in order for some college graduate to be able to move on into the next stage of life, be it adulthood, a better-paying job or more fulfilling relationships, then it seems I have to stop being so lazy.

I could put my talent to use (besides just blathering on in some blog) and write novels, screenplays, free-lance articles that could land me better jobs and help me grow up a little. I could write that stereotypical Great American Novel and get published at the young age of 20-something, insuring cash-flow and a much-coveted income so I could continue to write passionate books that tackle life as we know it today.

But then I'm sure I would get lazy again, since I could roll out of bed any time I felt like it. Have my private Italitan chef Gianluca whip up a greek omlete that melts in your mouth. Try to find something to watch for a half-hour on my satellite television (even though it takes at least 45 minutes just to get through all the channels or watch the preview channel).

I'd lounge around in my papasan chair with a White Russian in one hand and an electronic solitare game in the other until I fell asleep. That would be soooo lazy.

So maybe I won't write that passionate, enthralling novel and condemn myself to a life of excess and laziness.

Maybe I'll just keep writing a blog and use my time better. Maybe I'll not watch so much T.V. Maybe I'll read a little more for fun and write a little more fun. Maybe I'll be a more proactive in my friendships and in finding a better job. That will be more than "good enough," I'm sure.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about you write that Great American novel, maximizing your potential, and then donate the proceedings to a charitable cause, such as friends potentially headed into ministry, i.e. me? I would be happy to help you out with your potentially burdensome excess cash. Don't mention it; that's what friends are for. And if solitaire becomes a drag, I'd also recommend electronic yahtzee for a change of pace.
Seriously, it's awesome seeing you come a step further in your process of self-realization. You really do have amazing potential. Don't hold back, selling yourself short. Use the full extent of your talents and passions to glorify God and benefit others. Watch and be amazed at what God will do in and through you.

DayAtTheBeach said...

Yahtzee. Now there's an idea. What better game to better my word skilz and improve my phat flow of funk.
Thanks for the encouragement and reminder of what God can do.
Sonofa

Unknown said...

More than just "alright."

Growing up is hard to do... you wake up and realize it's your life, you're an adult, and you better start steering somewhere if you want to go anywhere... it's a sobering realization. And the reality is, laziness is just so much more comfortable.

But going somewhere is so much more... rewardable.

It's like skydiving. Terrifying, but when you hit the ground, you realize you've never had so much fun in your life.

Life is a risk... which makes it terrifying... and rewarding. And a complete paradox to us.

Anonymous said...

When looking at my life, you would not think that laziness would be an issue. I am 24 with 2 kids, a beautiful wife, and we are missionaries scrambling to finish our degrees while we raise support to get to the field. I get a lot done...or rather at times there is the appearance that I get a lot done. In reality, I am learning that I can accomplish a lot in a day, but if I do not get off of the couch at night and help my wife with the dishes...(or better yet do them myself)...If I do not start changing more diapers...If I do not cancel outside obligations and take my wife out every weekend, then I have not accomplished much at all. Home was the place where I used to come home and crash after working. Now, home is becoming the first focus of my life. Everything else pales in comparison to God's calling on my life to lead my family by example. And that example is epitomized by serving those that I love.
Beachman I think that that motivation is the key. I have been exploring what Christ motivation for dying for us was. I discovered it was all about God's Glory and love. The only think that can motivate sustaining service and dieing to myself, is loving others as much as I love myself. And that brings Glory to God. Christ died for me. The least I could do is die to myself for Him.
Blessings!

DayAtTheBeach said...

Your right about the motivation. I could write some entrhalling novel if I had a good motivation to do it.
I know there are a bunch out there, I just have to find one that make sense.
Or maybe I should stop thinking and just write something.