Wednesday, May 11, 2005

From Homicide to Espresso

Change is good. Especially when you're able to change the types of conversations you have during the normal course of the day.

I used to have to ask, "Well, how many times was the man shot and where? Were there any shell casings at the scene? Was the shooting gang-related? Are you currently questioning the mother in connection to the shooting?"

But now I'll have to ask, "Would you like that frappacino affogato style? Would you like to try our new Chantico drinking chocolate? How's it going, do you want your normal double-shot soy latte? You're asking me if refills are free?"

I have succumbed to working for the man, the Big Brother of coffee, the corporate, suburbanized chain store I have always tried to avoid if possible. But to avoid advertising for them, I shall call them the coffee-chain-that-shall-remain-nameless.

Call me a sell-out but the benefits, flexibility and quality tips seemed a good offer at the coffee-chain-that-shall-remain. This would be career suicide if I were to pursue journalism but since I'm not, the coffee-chain-that-shall will work fine.

It's kind of a career twist but who doesn't need a change now and then to refocus their lives, reevaluate career choices and rediscover what a person's passions are. And the coffee-chain-that-shall seems to be an ideal place for that.

And if you know me, that means that sometime in the near future, you'll be getting a pound of beans from the the coffee-chain-that.

1 comment:

DayAtTheBeach said...

Yes, yes. It will stunt my growth and all the while I'll be forced to drink a pound of coffee a week under the guise of "knowing out product." Keep the 'coffee-whore's and 'demi-god's coming.